Monday, June 9, 2014

Faculty/Editor Profile: Steve Vest

by Amy Smith, KCWC Planning Committee

Up close and personal--that description of my first writers' conference scared me to death. I wasn't sure I wanted to be that close to anyone when it came to my writing. I imagined questions I couldn't answer: What do you write? Have you published? What's your genre?

Up close and personal at KCWC is nothing to fear. It simply means that we've lined up some great folks to talk with and advise you--they'll meet you where you are. 

Take Steve Vest. He's more likely to tell you a great Kentucky story than he is to ask one of those tough writing questions. Founder, editor and publisher of Kentucky Monthly magazine, Steve is a Kentucky treasure, and we can't wait for you to meet him. 

And if you do know the genre you write or, better, have a short story or poem scribbled in a notebook, I know Steve would like to hear about it. 

Then, he'll encourage you to enter it in his magazine's 7th Annual Writers' Showcase. He's looking for your fiction, creative nonfiction, and poetry to publish in his November issue. When you meet, maybe you can swap tales.

We can't wait to see you at the conference. Registration is still open or you're welcome to register onsite. See you soon!

No comments: