Thursday, April 23, 2009

Educated, Motivated, and Celebrated

We invite former attendees and committee members to submit their stories about KCWC for the blog. This post was submitted by Barbara Wells, KCWC 2007-08 faculty chairperson and 2009 emcee. If you have a story you'd like to share, send it to akinemily(a)gmail.com.

In 2003, I was just beginning to write and didn’t know what to do with all the ideas coming to me. I saw an ad in our local newspaper and attended my very first Kentucky Christian Writers Conference at Rough River State Park. I didn’t know anyone at the conference; however, everyone was so friendly and encouraging. Sally Stuart---yes, THE Sally Stuart who publishes THE Christian Writers’ Market Guide---was the keynote speaker that year. She gave me the idea that would develop into my first book, A Giftbook for Pastors Wives, which I am now publishing through McDowell Publishers.

In 2007-2008, I served as Faculty chairperson for KCWC, and, I’m honored and excited to be emceeing the 2009 conference. For those writers already published, one of your benefits will be great networking opportunities. Beginning writers like me will learn about the writing/publishing industry up close and personal! In addition, we will meet some outstanding writers and editors in Christian publishing industry like keynote speaker, Terry Whalin. I can hardly wait!

As a member of the the KCWC Planning Committee, I can assure you that members work devotedly all year to bring together accomplished editors, publishers and, writers. You will be educated, motivated, and celebrated as you learn to connect your work for getting published and meet other writers just like you. Looking forward to meeting all of you in June.

Barbara Wells, a happy fellow-writer
E-mail: barbara5122(a)msn.com
Check out all of my books on my website at: http://www.freewebs.com/barbarawells/ .

No comments: