Tuesday, May 12, 2009

"I'm Counting the Days!" by Virginia Smith

I was down at the Southern Kentucky Book Fest the other day, and ran into a familiar face - Barbara Wells! I love running into writing friends at book events. Seeing her reminded me to look at my calendar and count the days until this year's conference. It's almost here!

I first attended Kentucky Christian Writers Conference three years ago, when I was invited to co-present a fiction workshop with Kathy Carlton Willis. What a great time we had! I'd been to some of the national Christian writers conferences before then, but KCWC was my first exposure to a local conference. I have to tell you, I was impressed. The number of attendees, the caliber of the speakers, the variety of offerings on the program, the smooth execution -- we in the Kentucky area are so lucky to have such a terrific conference within driving distance!

This year I'm excited about the two fiction workshops I'll present. In "Make Your Point Without Preaching," we'll discuss ways to effectively relay the spiritual message that means so much to us, without lapsing into a preachy tone. I've talked to some of the top Christian fiction writers in the industry to find out how they get their point across in their stories, and I'll share advice from many of them. We'll look at examples, and figure out together why they work.

My second workshop is, "Tickling Those Elusive Funny Bones." Here's the deal, folks: humor in writing is so much more than just telling jokes! Since six of my ten novels (so far!) have been humorous, I've picked up a few tricks along the way. We'll discuss different techniques for making your readers chuckle, how to use each one effectively, and again, we'll look at examples. So bring your sense of humor, and come prepared to laugh.

Still can't decide if you want to attend my workshops? Okay, here's a blatant bribe: in each one, I'll conduct drawings for free books. And, I'll have chocolate!

See you in E-town!






Virginia Smith

No comments: