Tuesday, February 16, 2010

The Right Tools for Writing


I looked at the calendar this morning and realized something exciting – Kentucky Christian Writers Conference is less than four months away! That may sound like a long time for some, but in my world, four months will slip by in the blink of an eye.

The other day I was a guest on a radio program whose audience is mostly aspiring authors. The host asked what advice I’d give to those who want to use their writing talents for the Lord. My answer: learn the craft! If you want to build a house, you don’t just run down to Home Depot and buy a hammer and a load of wood. You have to learn how to use the tools, and you have to follow a plan. Otherwise, your house will fall apart. Or most likely, you won’t ever finish it because you haven’t developed the skills you need to complete the task.

The same thing goes for writing. You may have a great idea, and a burning passion to turn that idea into a completed article or book. But without the right tools and the knowledge of how to use them, your idea won’t ever make it onto paper. Or if it does, your final product might not communicate your idea as effectively as you hoped it would.

As I told the audience of that radio program, a writers conference is an excellent way to learn the skills necessary to write effectively. Workshops taught by seasoned professionals can provide you with a wealth of instruction. One of the best writing classes I ever attended was taught by award-winning novelist Deborah Raney at my very first Christian writers conference back in 2005. I still use the techniques I learned from her in my books today.

Preparations are underway to make the 2010 conference the best one yet. The conference committee is working hard to put together an outstanding program designed to help you develop the skills you need to turn your idea into a polished piece of writing. I’ve gotten a few peeks at the schedule in its early stages, and I’m excited about the sessions being offered. We’re in for a terrific conference!

Besides developing your writing skills, there are many other reasons to attend the 2010 Kentucky Christian Writers Conference. We’ll discuss those reasons in the coming weeks, so keep an eye on this blog.

See you in E-town in June!

Virginia (Ginny) Smith
http://www.virginiasmith.org/

1 comment:

Diane Marie Shaw said...

Last year I attended my first writer's conference, the Colorado Christian Writers Conference, CCWC. I learned so much in those workshops and met so many wonderful people. It was worth the time and money. I hope to be able to attend another conference this year.