Participants will meet Thursday at Grace Heartland Church, Elizabethtown, Ky., for the opening of the 2013 Kentucky Christian Writers Conference, and speaker Michael Ray Smith has a T-shirt and book he wants to give away as part of the getting acquainted process.
A professor of communication studies at Campbell University near Raleigh, N.C., Smith has written five books and nearly 3,000 feature stories. KCWC Faculty Chair will draw a name for the T-shirt and book.
Smith plans to talk about the "web first" movement that is crucial for writers as they interact with audiences. He will talk on:
- Ten Ways to Create an Online Presence with No-Cost Downloads, and
- Making Your First Video using Apple's iMovie Software
In an independent search, journalismdegrees.org recognized Smith as one of “Top 50 Journalism Professors for 2012." Also in 2012 Campbell University selected him from 216 professors for its first university-wide teaching excellence award.
"We're saved to be spent," Smith says.
He loves students and wants to help new writers land a byline and a paycheck. This year he and co-author Wally Metts published "A One-Step Guide to a Byline," a free iPad-only book that features:
- Eight how-to videos from successful writers including best-selling author Cecil Murphey (125 books) and two-time Pulitzer Prize winner Manny Garcia;
• “The Theology of Journalism” by Arne H. Fjeldstad, internationally known for his work with journalism and ministry;
• Pop-up boxes that give more detail when you touch them;
• An example of writing from the Wall Street Journal and one from the community press;
• Websites that open with a touch;
• A glossary . . . again, at a touch.
This guide is designed for new writers and journalists working in ministry; everything in it works with a touch screen available on iPad or iPhone. It is underwritten by a grant from Campbell University. Smith said he will send anyone who wants a copy of the non-interactive PDF free on request. Drop him a note at email@example.com.
Visit www.kychristianwriters.com for complete information about KCWC, including registration--it's not too late!